I want to thank all the wonderful participants and staff at Sandy Senior Center for the warm welcome I have received as the new Center manager. Ken Donarski was not exaggerating when he told me folks at the Center were a delightful bunch! I have lived in Utah 23 year’s and am originally from Massachusetts. I have a Master’s Degree in Education from the U of U. I have worked in Australia and Japan and traveled through China, India, SE Asia, the Middle East and parts of Europe. I have two young children: Ellie, 12 and Frankie, 10.
Celebrate Older Americans Month with Entertainment!
- · 3rd - 11:15 Richard Stevenson – pianist
- · 6th - 9:30 Harmonica Katz perform, and 11:15 Guitarist – Debbie Spackman
- · 7th – Silver Song Birds sing
- · 8th – 9:30 Glee Club sings (our own centers choir)
- · 10th – 11:00 Music by “Heart & Soul” Group
- · 13th – 11:15 “Eves Dropping” Play-What Happens When Readers Theatre meets Reader’s Digest?
- · 17th – 11:15 “Young At Heart” Sandy Center line dancers perform
- · 20th – 11:30 Organ music by John Schirack (from Atria Senior Living of Sandy)
- · 24th - 11:00 Glee Club sings patriotic songs (our own centers choir)
- · 31st – 11:00 Utah Old Time Fiddlers perform.
- · 1st, 15th, 22nd & 29th – 8:45 am In house band the “Easy” perform.
- All Wednesdays at 11:30 piano music by the Frank George.
Diabetes Foot Care and Info on Supplies- Wednesday, May 1st - 10:00
Giveaways and info from Diabetes Specialty Center.
“Are Your Medical Affairs In Order?” – Friday, May 3rd – 10:00
How to update your forms: LIVING WILL, HEALTH CARE POWER OF ATTORNEY, (HPOA), and what previous forms are obsolete. How to strengthen your HPOA and assure that care is in accordance with your wishes. Instructor is Karin Kirchhoff, PhD, and RN.
Senior Tours Information – Friday, May 10th – 10:00
Discover travel again. Join Doreen Barnes to find out about the upcoming trips from Branson to Wendover.
“Mindful Kindness” – Friday, May 17th – 10:00
Being human, we can choose to nurture and cultivate kindness, compassion, and love which is the foundation of true happiness. Taught by Richard Nelson.
Mothers Day Celebration – Friday, May 10th
Crosslands Rehab in Sandy is sponsoring giveaways to all Mothers, and 1 lucky (women only) door prize winner at 12:00 noon.
- · 11:00 – The “Heart & Soul” Group Perform.
- · 11:40 – Mothers Day Luncheon with Lemon Pepper Chicken thigh, gravy, tarragon potatoes, broccoli, green salad
- · and fresh fruit.
- “Want To Reverse Your Type 2 Diabetes?”- Wednesday, May 15th – 10:00
Learn about Diabetes, the harmful effects of the medications, and what to do about it. Things your Doctor probably has not told you. Presented by “The Retirement Information Group”.
“What You Do Not Know About Famous Composers and Artists” Wednesday, May 22nd – 10:00
Discover secrets about the famous artists. Taught by Don Marr.
Free Breakfast (Special Strawberry Breakfast) Tuesday, May 28th – 8 - 9:00
NATIONAL STRAWBERRY MONTH celebrated by Rocky Mountain Care Home Care & Hospice with a delicious strawberry breakfast.
Memorial Day Celebration – Friday, May 24th
- · 11:00 - Music by the Sandy Glee Club singing patriotic songs.
- · 11:40 – Memorial Luncheon with beef patty, baked beans and peaches.
Rock & Mineral “Show & Tell” Thursday, May 30th – 1:00
Bring in a specimen or two and tell everyone the “story” behind it. Explain where & how you found it, what it means to you, what it is
Travel Across America (Without Spending A Fortune) - Friday, May 31st – 10:00
Destination: Walt Disney World & Disneyland –
Mike Cook takes you on a journey to “The most magical place on Earth”, for the young at heart. Observe enchanting, colorful photos of the parks, when to visit, what to see, and how to plan your trip.
Women’s Pool Lessons - Wednesdays starting May 1st – 1:00
Join Skip Olsen and learn the basics of playing pool.
Civil War Discussion Group, Friday, May 3rd – 10:00
Each participant brings an interesting book or article to discuss. Will continue on the first Friday of each month. All are welcome
Why Are So Many Americans Unhealthy? Mondays, starting May 6th (6 week class) - 10:00
Good nutritional well-being begins with information. Join us in a six week class to find solutions to becoming healthier through the food we eat. Taught by Corinne Early, she has a degree in Genetics & Nutrition.
- · 6th- “What has happened in America? How do we start improving our health. Are medications the answer to everything?”
- · 13th - Our Immune System and what can we do to help it.
- · 20th - Organic vs. non-organic when does it matter. What's up with GMOs?
Needle Tatting – Monday, May 6th – 10:00
“Needle tatting is easier than shuttle tatting, knitting and crocheting.” Taught by a member of the West Valley Tatting Guild.
“Circuit Training” and Boxing -Thursday, May 9th – 10:00
Exercise from warming up stretches and moves to punching a boxing bag (includes wrapping your hands) with Title Boxing Club.
Biking Group – Tuesdays, starting May 21st – 9:00 Join Jim Piani in a brisk ride through the local trails of Sandy. Meet at the Center and drive to the location where we will ride. Helmets are required.
UPDATE ON CLASSES:
Women’s Support Group Thursday, May 2nd- 10:00
Topic is “Handling Worry and Anxiety”. Practice relaxation skills.
Hawaiian Hula Dance Class Thursdays - 1:00
Welcome, to our new dance instructor Mary Tonata the owner of Life Changing Home Care.
Medicare Information – Fridays - 10:00
- · May 3rd – Medicare Info (part D, prescription drugs)
- · May 17th – Medigap Info. James Piani will discuss issues about Medicare.
- NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) “Law of Attraction” – Wednesday, May 8th – 10:30
“Visualize and attract your optimal life experiences.” Start your vision board or add to your existing one. Will attach pictures and words from magazines to your poster. Supplies will be provided. Facilitator is Carol Esterreicher.
Ukrainian Egg Workshop, Thursday, May 9th – 1:00
Our 1-day workshop using wax and dye process is simple and satisfying. Continue using skills learned from earlier workshops. All supplies will be included. Join the talented and patient Meg Allen and craft a unique gift.
Curly Specialty Knitted Scarf Craft Monday, May 13th – 10:00
Cost $5.00 for the yarn. Need to sign-up.
Lunch Bunch Outing to Wheeler Farm Tuesday, May 14th – 9:30
Check out the new baby animals.
Computer Registration, May 20th – 23rd 9:00 to 11:00
- · Classes start the next week.
- · May 1st - “What should your next computer be?” tablet, laptop or what special presentation.
Scottish Food Demo – Thursday, May 23rd – 10:00
Sample a few authentic Scottish dishes, and receive recipes.